Friday, October 16, 2009

Comfort Lentil Soup

Sunset from my parents house in Lebanon


I haven’t been feeling well; I had oral surgery earlier this week and still recovering. My beloved husband Brian cooked a couple of comfort soups from his childhood; Split Pea Soup with ham hock (which is something that I did not know what it was until I married him) and Clam Chowder. Both were very tasty even when they were blended. He made quite an effort, and I was really appreciative, after all he hasn’t been cooking much lately because he is not inspired!!! Yesterday was day four of my surgery and I was l feeling yucky and still needed soft food. I was craving my Mom’s lentil soup which she used to make for me and my siblings when we used to get sick with the flu or other winter ailments. It is supposed to make you sweat and it does. So, I made it with a short cut, dumping all the ingredients minus the spices all at the same time, used an immersion blender to cream it instead of a hand mill, added the spices and finished it with olive oil and voila…..My comfort soup was ready……And I went back to Lebanon…..

The following recipe is following the progressive steps, but if in a hurry, or not feeling well then choosing the shorter route will still give you a good soup.
Serve the soup with toasted pita chips, a squeeze of lemon juice and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. You can also embellish it by topping it with toasted pumpkin seeds, a crumble of feta cheese, grated parmesan, chopped cilantro or mint…..Use your imagination……
Recipe:
Serves 4-6
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 tbs. Olive oil + extra to drizzle
1 ½ cups lentil, picked and rinsed
½ cup short grain rice white or brown (you need more water and more cooking time if using brown rice
1-1 ½ tsp. cumin
½ tsp. allspice
¼ tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. black pepper
Salt to taste
6-8 cups water
Note: You need more water and more cooking time if using brown rice.


In a big pot, sauté onions in olive oil over medium heat until translucent. Add spices and salt until fragrant. Add lentil and 4 cups of water until lentil is tender. You may have to add a bit of water at a time keeping your lentils covered with water at all times. Using your immersion or regular blender until smooth, add rice rest of water until rice is cooked and tender. You may add less or more or less water according to consistency of your preference. Adjust salt and spices to taste. Serve with your condiments of choice….Sahtain…..

No comments:

Post a Comment