Friday, October 31, 2008

Dervish's Rosary

There is a dish in Lebanon called Dervish's Rosary.It is stew like dish that can be with or without meat,usually lamb.It is a mix of vegetables cooked in a tomato base sauce. It can be whatever you have on hand or a favorite combination. My mother would cook it most of the time vegetarian since we would leave the lamb chunks out.

My father loved to research the origins of names and popular sayings and the stories behind them and here is what he came up with.The Dervish is a renunciate who has declared a life of simplicity and sometimes poverty.His rosary is unlike most rosaries, it is made of mismatched beads, whatever he can gather. The dish is a medley of colorful cubes and rounds, thus the name.

I have always loved the dish and the story behind it as my Dad would tell it.My recipes and stories on this blog will be gathered from here and there , I saw it fitting to name it the Dervish's Rosary.

No comments:

Post a Comment